Alan was born in Waynesville, NC, and grew up in Canton, NC.
Growing up in Canton, a Mill town, Alan’s family was heavily involved in the community. His grandfather and father worked at the town Drug Store and his mother worked in a restaurant.
Alan is a graduate of Pisgah High School and went on to Haywood Community College.
Alan is married with two sons and they have been lifelong residents of Haywood County.
Alan currently works as a Staff Representative with the United Steelworkers International Union, or the USW.
- As a Union representative, Alan fights for working families, so workers can have a safe and secure job.
- Alan negotiates Collective Bargaining Agreements with Employers
- Assist United Steelworkers Local Unions with administration of their contracts
- Alan works to organize the unorganized.
- Fights to improve public policy that impacts working families
Prior to working for the United Steelworkers International, Alan was the President of USW Local 507 representing the workers at the Evergreen Packaging Paper Mill in Canton, NC, and the Evergreen Packaging Extrusion facility in Waynesville, NC.
Alan in his own words is running for NC House because he believes that “every student deserves access to high-quality education and by investing in our public schools, we ensure our students receive what they deserve, the best education possible.” “Every North Carolinian deserves access to quality affordable healthcare. By expanding access to healthcare for more people, we will drive down costs for everyone.” “Our Workforce is the bedrock of our economy. By expanding local education, broadband internet access, and workforce programs, we can continue to grow the economy in the rural areas of North Carolina.”